La Bechamel sauce It is a very versatile sauce and it is used in many recipes, vegetables or gratin pasta, cannelloni or lasagna and a long etcetera. Not long ago I shared with you one of my recipes for Homemade cannelloni And today I explain how I prepare the bechamel for that recipe.
We already know that nowadays it is very easy to use the supermarket packaged bechamel, but I also assure you that it is very easy to prepare a bechamel while, for example, the vegetables or pasta are cooked.
Two key points to get a good béchamel is to make sure the flour cooks well so it doesn't taste like raw flour and another is to add hot milk to minimize the formation of lumps. I take the opportunity to heat it in the microwave while I toast the flour with the butter. If you want you can also flavor the milk with a bay leaf or a little onion and heat it in a container over the fire.
- 50 gr. of butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour heaped
- 300 gr. hot milk
- Pour the butter into a saucepan and melt over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and sauté until it starts to brown so that the béchamel doesn't taste like raw flour.
- Add the hot milk and stir constantly to avoid lumps. If I have to make a lot of bechamel I like to add the milk 2 or 3 times.
- Season with salt, pepper to taste and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Continue stirring with the saucepan over medium heat until we see it begins to thicken and takes on a creamy consistency. Remove from the heat and cover our dishes with it.